The Community Development Department is responsible for the following core programs:
- Administration and enforcement of the County’s Zoning, Subdivision, and Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinances
- Approval of plats and commercial site plans
- Issuance of zoning approval on building permits and business licenses
- Manages the County’s structure addressing system
- Oversight of the County’s planning process via implementation and administration of the Comprehensive Plan
- Represents the County on regional planning organizations
- Research and provide technical advisement on land use matters for the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors
- Serves as a clearinghouse for public information pertaining to land use and development in the County
Changes to Residential-Commercial
(R-C) Zoning District
Since late 2018, the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors have been considering changes to the Residential-Commercial (R-C) zoning district, which permits commercial (and limited residential) development and is located primarily along the U.S. Route 60 corridor between U.S. Route 522 and the Chesterfield County line.
To allow additional stakeholder input regarding the proposed changes, the Board of Supervisors created the R-C Zoning Workgroup, which met in January and February 2019.
A public hearing on this proposed ordinance is schedule for
February 25, 2019.
Staff Report:Board of Supervisors Public Hearing
(Nov. 26, 2018)
Memo from Mr. Carson Tucker:
R-C Zoning Workgroup
(Dec. 13, 2018)
Powhatan County's current comprehensive plan was adopted in 2010. In late 2016, the Planning Commission began reviewing the 2010 Long-Range Comprehensive Plan and updating its content. Throughout 2018, the Board of Supervisors, with guidance from the Comprehensive Plan Workgroup, continued to update the plan.
The draft 2018/2019 Comprehensive Plan Update is available online for review. Ideas regarding the draft plan can be emailed to:
A public hearing on the plan is schedule for February 25, 2019.
Related Documents and Links:
Draft 2018/19 Comprehensive Plan
(BOS Recommendation: Jan. 2019)
Memo to Board of Supervisors:
Finalizing Draft Comprehensive Plan
(Dec. 13, 2018 workshop)
Draft Future Land Use Map